Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Seasonal Order: Summer 2014

Hey everyone! It's that time of the year again! Time to talk about the current state of The Critical Order, projects I have in the works, and what I will be reviewing over the next several months! More information after the cutoff!


MOVIES

So the past three months have been the busiest possible time for TCO, what with the plethora of reviews that I've done on movies as well as how many people are starting to follow the blog and voice their opinions. I love the fact that people are talking about this, and while it might not be earth shattering in terms of just how many people watch it, just the fact that people are reading and starting intellectual conversations is what makes my day. That being said, the movies for the next couple of months are most likely going to be very sporatic after August, mostly because September is really a No Man's Land for movies. So here are what I am going to TRY to review for the next three months, each with little captions and reasons as to why.

Earth To Echo OR Tammy - Both of these movies release on JUly 2nd, but I haven't decided which one to talk about. It'll have to be a surprise I suppose.
The Purge: Anarchy - I love the concept, but the first movie didn't captivate me. Giving the series one more try.
Lucy - This is probably going to be very dumb, but I have hope given the pedigree of the director.
Sharknado 2: The Second One - What more do I need to say?
Guardians of the Galaxy - This is probably my most anticipated summer movie, and so far it looks to fill the build for a great sci-fi action movie.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - This could go either way in terms of quality, so I'm giving it a fair chance.
Expendables III - Yes call me a stupid action fan, but I'm all up for some old school 80's action.
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - Never seen the original Sin City, so chalk this one up under the "may or may not see" category.
The Maze Runner - Again, never heard of this movie, but the concept alone has me very intrigued by it.
Snowpiercer - If this gets a wide release, I will be the first to jump on this movie because WOW IT LOOKS GOOD.

As always, I may drop some reviews and I may add some, so nothing is set in stone for now.


GAMES

Summer is usually a dead time for games, so the harvest this season is probably going to be a lot lighter than usual. However, I'll try to review what does come out that I find interesting, which isn't much to be perfectly frank. 2014 has been very light on games so far, so that's hardly surprising.

One Piece: Unlimited World R - After Romance Dawn, this was the One Piece game that I wanted a ton, and thankfully it's coming out in the near future!
Akiba's Trip - This Vita action game look to be pretty fun, if a little insane with the premise of taking clothes off of vampires to kill them. Gotta love Japan.
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Paradise - I'm going to be getting into Danganronpa in the near future, but from what I've heard, it is a franchise that is to die over in Japan.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - This is a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. 'Nuff said.
Hyrule Warriors - Now this is a game that people are legitimately getting excited over. It was one of Nintendo's best games at E3 this year, so I'm fairly confident with it being good.


ANIME AND BROADWAY

So... let's talk about these two little series that I've been doing infrequently.

After much deliberation, I had to face the hard facts about reviewing both of these mediums. They don't get me a lot of views, and both of them are infrequent, but one series was something that I could not justify continuing to review. So, from here on out, I WILL NOT BE REVIEWING BROADWAY SHOWS ANYMORE. I repeat, BROADWAY REVIEWS WILL NOT BE DONE ANYMORE. 

This isn't because I have lost passion for theatre, which couldn't be further from the truth, but it's mostly because I feel it's a bit unfair to review Broadway shows in my opinion. As an actor, I know that there are a ton of components that go into a show and each part needs to work perfectly to get the best experience. Not only that, but each performance of a show is going to be different, and who am I to judge people that may or may not be having great days. Plus even if one element is wrong with a show, it could dampen the whole experience. I was in a show once where right in the very beginning, and I mean the very first scene, an actress missed her cue and I was left to improv on stage for a solid two minutes before she showed up. It was a freak accident, but it showed the audience a show that was worse than it really was. It happens. And that is why I can't do Broadway reviews anymore. I feel kind of bad critiquing people that go through the same thing that I go through on a daily basis.

Now that being said, I will continue to do film reviews because that's a completely different beast. Film allows for multiple takes, effects, editing, and all sorts of technical elements that allow the filmmakers to make a singular product. What you see is what you get, and there's no way to change it. Because it is a singular product that is presented the way that the filmmakers wanted it to be shown, I'm much more comfortable doing that.

As for anime, I'll continue to do seasonal recaps of the shows that I watch, and my recap for the Spring season should be up in the next day or two, so look forward to that. So yeah, anime is picked up, while Broadway is dropped.


RETROSPECTIVES

So yeah... my Mario Kart Retrospective was a good hit with you guys. I didn't know if people would cling to the idea of reading a constantly growing retrospective, but you guys kind of proved me wrong. That being said, there probably won't be any "traditional" retrospectives for a while. The next retrospective I have planned probably won't launch until most likely November, though that's mostly because I want it to tie in with an upcoming release that I'm sure most people can guess if they try hard enough.

However, I am happy to announce that for the month of July, adding on to my list of movies and games to review, I'll be doing a different type of retrospective. I'll be doing a catch up of 2014 releases during July that I'm calling "The Month of Makeups". Pretty much I have lined up three games and three movies that for one reason or another I just didn't get around to reviewing when they came out. For games, it was because I honestly forgot about them and wasn't able to beat them in a timely fashion. I want to enjoy my games when I play them, so if I happen to miss a game or two so I don't pressure myself to beat them under a deadline, then I feel I can give a much better review of them. As for movies, it's simply because I didn't get around to seeing them when they were in theatres. It just happens. I'm not going to announce what I'm going to be starting with, but I can say that the first review will go up soon and they'll come out in a timely fashion... I hope.


TOP 10'S

So the past three months have had no Top 10's in them. None. Again, it was mostly just due to me being busy with the main focus of TCO, reviewing movies and games. I do them when I have a particular itch to scratch and I want to get on a soapbox and talk for a while. They're just like that. My last Top 10 was about Pokemon, and that's cause I was playing Pokemon a lot during the time. I'll probably do another one sooner or later, most likely on the later side of the spectrum though, so there's something to look forward to. In fact, if you want to start throwing out ideas for Top 10's, I may take inspiration from them and use it for the basis of a list.


And that's about everything for now! July is going to be busy, August not so much, and September will probably be even slower. I'll try to balance out content as best I can, but you'll definitely have stuff to look forward to in the coming months. Have a great summer everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment