Saturday, July 1, 2017

The Seasonal Orders: Summer 2017


A fun update as I complain about the heat!


2017 is halfway over! Can you believe that the year is flying by so fast? A lot to get into this time, so let's just dive into the updates.

PATREON

I might as well be pretty candid when I talk about Patreon and why I'm so intent on getting more patrons.

As of right now, I am a recent college graduate. I will be going back to school in the Fall to get a Masters, but I want to make some kind of a small income based on the site. I love making reviews and I have no intention to stop, but real world issues, i.e. money, can make it harder to go out and see movies, buy games, or keep my subscriptions up to date for streaming sites and other side projects I have going on. 

I know that I have a fairly small community, but the community is great and I'm so grateful for the fact that I get people that are actually interested in my reviews and thoughts. So that's why I want to ask, please donate to my Patreon to support my content. Minimum donations are $1, and with that you can get access to voting, and more money donated will equal more reviews I can post. My one goal for the year is to have patrons donate, collectively, $50 per month to the site. As of right now, I have one patron donating $5, but I know that my readers are kind and awesome people, so please, if you're enjoying what you're reading, please take the next step and consider donating. For the cost of a cup of Starbucks a month, you can make a world of difference for me. My Patreon link is right here, so please do what you will.

SCHEDULING

So last season I tried out a new kind of scheduling format. I would release a review every Sunday and I'd see how that would work out. On the whole, I think having a main review every Sunday is a good idea for how this site should run. You know what to expect, it makes an easier workload for me, and it gives me time to let whatever I'm reviewing sink in for a couple of days before I really get into talking about it. So here's the schedule for the next 3 months! All of this is subject to change, so this is ideally what I'm going to be talking about.

7/2 – Spring Anime 2017
7/9 – Spiderman Homecoming
7/16 - BREAK
7/23 – War for the Planet of the Apes
7/30 – The Emoji Movie
8/6 – Dark Tower
8/13 - Dunkirk
8/20 - Triple Feature: The Nut Job 2, Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets, Atomic Blonde
8/27 – Death Note
9/3 – One Piece: East Blue Part 2
9/10 – BREAK
9/17 – The NEXT Top 10 Steven Universe Episodes
9/24 – Kingsman: The Golden Circle

So you may have noticed a few important things in the schedule. First, I included breaks into it. Even though I love the new format, occasionally I'll need a week just to unwind and relax without focusing on work too much, so taking a break every couple of months is a nice way for me to recharge and get new energy and new ideas flowing. The other two major changes, I'm going to talk about below.

VIDEO GAMES

So you may have noticed that there are no video game reviews on the docket for the next three months. Now before anyone gets scared and thinks that I'm going to stop doing video game reviews, just take a deep breath. 

Video game reviews are not going anywhere. They're just being modified. 

So you may have noticed that in the past three months I planned on doing four video game reviews; Snipperclips, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yooka Laylee, and Persona 5. I thought that I would have enough time to sit down, play all of these games by a specific deadline, then talk about them. In truth, I got only two of them done, and one of the games I've reviewed I'm actually going to re-review because I'm unsatisfied with the original review. 

I wasn't able to beat Horizon: Zero Dawn by the time I scheduled for its review, and Yooka Laylee STILL has not released on the Switch (yes, I know there's a PS4 version, but as a Kickstarter backer I backed the Switch version and I don't want to buy a game I've already bought twice). So pretty much half of my planned reviews went in the garbage because they were either delayed or I couldn't beat them in time. 

So what does all of this mean? It means that I'm going to take a laid back approach to video game reviews. Game reviews will come out on Thursdays, but not every Thursday. The Thursday I beat a game is when a review will be released. That way I can play the game at my own pace, then when its done I can talk about it to my hearts content and actually enjoy my time with the game. Here is when you can expect reviews on certain games, but no promises. 

JULY - Arms and Persona 5 REREVIEW
AUGUST - Splatoon 2 and Sonic Mania
SEPTEMBER - Metroid: Samus Returns

Yooka Laylee will come out whenever it releases on the Switch and I'll talk about Horizon: Zero Dawn later on as well. 

ANIME

Usual stuff for anime this time. Nothing too outrageous, except that now I'm going to try out my Patreon Reader's Choice poll! How this works is that I've chosen a bunch of titles that a lot of people are looking forward to for the Summer season that I'm personally not all that interested in. Patrons can vote for which title they want me to review, and I'll review the one at the end of the season that gets the most votes. Simple and easy, but you need to be a patron in order to cast a vote. As long as you donate $1 a month, then you can have instant access to voting for anime and for movie choices. The link is right here, so come over and donate and help out!

As for what I'm going to look at for the Summer season, here are the titles you can definitely expect from me.

RE:Creators
Kakegurui
Hajimete no Gal
Made in Abyss
Gamers!
Welcome to the Ballroom

ONE PIECE

I've finally done it and just moved One Piece into a dedicated review slot. I know I said that I wanted to get them done whenever I had the chance to, but at the rate I'm going the retrospective is most likely never going to be complete. So I decided to just move it into a main slot and provide new postings at a set time to motivate me to get everything done at once. 

That being said, I decided that I'm not going to do every single individual arc in One Piece. I'm going to touch on the major arcs, but for smaller arcs I'll just lump them into the overall saga as they're called. So for example, the East Blue Saga has Romance Dawn, Orange Town, Syrup Village, the Baratie, Arlong Park, and Rogue Town. That would mean it would take six updates to finish the first, and shortest of the sagas, so instead I'm going to break them all down into their saga forms. So the next update will contain Syrup Village and the Baratie, while the final part of the East Blue will contain Arlong Park and Rogue Town before going into my final thoughts. I want to get the East Blue done with this year and hopefully get to Skypia by the end of next year, so here's to making progress!



And that's all there is to know! Thank you all for reading, and I'll see you tomorrow with my review of the Spring series of anime!

No comments:

Post a Comment