Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Divergent Series: Insurgent Review


Well this certainly... exists.


So... I don't really know why I'm reviewing this movie. This is the last movie that I ever thought I would be talking about this month, mostly because I have the most apathy towards this movie. Oh sure, I could go on for days about hwy I'm never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to see Home, but Insurgent? Hell, the most defining this about this movie is that it has one of the most baffling titles I've ever seen for a franchise. Technically the full title for this movie is The Divergence Series: Insurgent. They couldn't just call this movie Insurgent, but instead they had to make it abundantly clear that this movie is a part of the Divergence series and not the 2006 political drama film of the same name. Clarification, you know?

If you want to know my opinions on the first film, I have none. Absolutely none. It was a bad movie, but it just felt unspectacular that I have nothing significant to say. In all honesty, I'm having a bit of an apathetic reaction to this movie in the same way that I had to The Nut Job. I don't want to talk about this movie, but not because this movie is awful. It's flawed with more flaws than good and it's entirely reliant on you knowing the original Divergent by heart.

Movies like  The Divergent Series: Insurgent (and yes I'm going to keep calling it that) are the most difficult to review. They're entirely reliant on previous source material and serve as being only adaptations. Fans will love it, but no one else will care about them. The same can be said for most young adult novels, but usually novels like Hunger Games and even Twilight have an edge to them, something to make them unique to the general public. Hunger Games gives people their dystopian future sci-fi franchise that's easily accessible with good action, while Twilight attempted to tell a modern Gothic love story. The Divergent Series: Insurgent has nothing that other more successful movies don't already have and better. It's a distillation of popular tropes and ideas about society, destiny, and other junk that's been explored more and better in other stories.


So if I'm obviously not a fan of the original movie and I feel like this movie just exists to please fans, I have absolutely nothing to say about this movie. I feel no passion of drive into discussing it, because more than any other movie I've seen this year, I don't remember a single thing about this movie. And I just saw this movie yesterday! It has been a little over 24 hours and I cannot remember a single thing about the characters, the setting, the plot, the magical macguffin plot device, or what the resolution has for the series and its last entry. The next book is supposed to split into a Part 1 and a Part 2, but I don't see the point. There's nothing here to discuss, so how can you expand fluff into two separate movies? I have never been a fan of Part 1 and Part 2, and this franchise is proof of that. It's like splitting air; how can you split something that doesn't physically exist.

More than anything else, i'm just bored by this movie. If you want to see this movie, only be a fan of the books. The rest of you will be so apathetic and bored that you won't even care. It's not bad, but it certainly isn't good. It's just vanilla by every stretch of the word. However, if you're looking for a good Xanax, I may be able to hook you up with this movie.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment