Monday, June 15, 2015

E3 2015: Sony


So... was I complaining about a lack of surprise announcements?


Well then. Sony certainly had one hell of a showing this year. I wouldn't say it topped their destruction of Microsoft two years ago, but not too far off. The games Sony had announced were certainly interesting and pleased a high amount of fan, myself included, but I can't help but have a cynical attitude towards Sony this year.

While I will go out and say they may have won E3 today (Nintendo still has their press conference), I'm still higly disappointed in the PS4 and its current library. Why? Because this year, there are no major games coming exclusively to the PS4. There's only exclusive content for multiplatform games. Not only that, but several of the games they announced at E3 are multiplatform, negating most of the motivation I have for them. Like always, the PS4 is resting on its potential, and while it has a great amount of potential, I want greatness now. I want to play those games now. Quite literally, there are no major Playstation exlusive games coming out until Uncharted 4: A Thieves End next year. So I'm just twiddling my thumbs, annoyed that there were no release dates for the majority of their games. Sony may be the king of the console war now, but they are exceptionally lazy at it. Microsoft has Halo 5, Forza 6, Rare Replays, and Rise of the Tomb Raider coming exclusively to the Xbox One THIS year. There is no future potential for the Xbox One. The Xbox One potential is here now, especially with its recent announcement of backwards compatability. Sony needs to do stuff now, not later.

With that rant aside, Sony did show off plenty of great games and destroyed expectations all around. The three biggest reveals they had tonight was the reveal of a Final Fantasy VII HD remake, a Kickstarter for Shenmue III, and the revival of The Last Guardian, all of whom were just vaporware not until four hours ago. Final Fantasy VII is stunning news that makes me want to play the game instantly, though I hope its development doesn't conflict with Final Fantasy XV, a game that I want to play so bad I can taste it. The Shenmue III Kickstarter was also pleasant, but The Last Guardian took my full attention. It's here, it's coming out in 2016, and while I have no idea what the gameplay is like, I'm eager to see more of the game.

Exclusive content was also the theme of the night, with Sony showing off exclusive content for Batman: Arkham Knight, Black Ops 3, Disney Infinity 3.0, Destiny, and Assassin's Creed Syndicate, all of whom look interesting, but the games themselves are not exclusive to the PS4, dulling some of my excitement. There was also the reveal of Media Molecule's new game Dreams which is... interesting. I don't really know how to describe it, or if I could even call it a game in the strictest definition. Essentially, you are able to use the PS4 controller the physically shape and create "dreams" that can be shared with other players. These dreams are short and I'm personally very confused about if its more game than tool, or Sony's answer to Microsoft's Project Spark. Only time will tell I suppose.

Then there were three games that had extensive demos. The first game was a new game titled Horizon Zero Dawn, which looks stunning. I'm serious, I love how this game looks and I think its world is creative, the gameplay is fun, its aesthetically pleasing, and I want to know more about the game. It just looks divine and may be the best game demoed at E3 this year. We were then shown No Man's Sky, the highly talked about space exploration game that has no current release date, but hot damn does it look impressive. I'm still skeptical at the sheer size of it, but I'm fully willing to try and play it. Finally there was Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, which was entertaining and exactly what I come to expect from Nathan Drake's supposed finale, for better or worse.

Again, my only real complaints is that right now, Sony has no games for the immediate future. They have future promises, but those games will either be released in 2016, or even 2017. We're just meant to wait and wait and wait for Sony to finally give us new games. However, the games announced looked great and make me clamor for more, so I'm stuck. I suppose the best way to summarize my feelings are that I'm more excited for the Xbox One this year, but Sony has my attention for next year.

Oh, and please actually announce something for the Vita. That would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment