Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Seasonal Orders: Spring 2017


Major schedule changes incoming!


Hello there everyone! How does it feel knowing that winter has finally ended? The sun is shining, it's getting slightly warmer, and we've already left a great first quarter of the year! Kind of surprised that it's been this good all things considered, but I'm not complaining!

SCHEDULE

So if anyone has been following my posts over the last two weeks, then you should probably be aware of the fact that I've been experimenting with having a set schedule for reviews. As in, a review will come out on this exact day for this exact review. So why is that?

Couple of reasons. First, it just makes my life a bit easier when I don't feel pressured to get a review out as soon as humanly possible. Up until this point, I've always worried that if I don't get a review for a movie or a game out as soon as possible, then it'll be beyond relevant by the time the review gets posted. So I write reviews up as fast as I can, they aren't usually my final thoughts because of how quickly I get them out, and they're plagued with errors, typos, and mistakes all in the vain attempt to be timely.

Second, I just feel like it's way more professional to have a set day and a set time for getting things out. Before I would usually post as soon as I get a review done, which ranged from the early morning to late at night, and views would be... interspersed to say the least. So by making things set, people will know exactly when a review will come out and when to expect it.

Finally, I wanted to follow through with promises that I make in these posts. Usually I'll say "Oh, maybe I'll go and see this movie, but I don't know. We'll see!" But as time went on, I kind of realized that maaaaybe that wasn't the best way to go about it. I know there are plenty of movies that I promised I would talk about, only to disappoint any readers that wanted me to talk about them.

So with all of that being said, I'm now creating a set schedule for the next three months. Below you'll see what games and movies I'm reviewing and when I'll be reviewing them. Every review will come out on Sundays sometime between 2:00 and 8:00. Not too early, not too late. There won't be any posts on any other day except for extenuating circumstances, like a Seasonal Order Post, A One Piece: Unlimited Retrospective post,  or a special event. So here's the first round of the new Critical Order scheduling!

4/2: Ghost in the Shell
4/9: Winter Anime 2017 Review
4/16: Snipperclips: Cut it Out Together!
4/23: The Bye Bye Man
4:30: The 10 Worst Things About the Video Game Industry
5/7: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5/14: Horizon: Zero Dawn Review
5/21: Alien: Covenant
5/28: Yooka Laylee
6/4: Wonder Woman
6/11: E3 Press Conference Summaries
6/18: Persona 5
6/25: Triple Feature: Captain Underpants, Car 3, and either Get Out or A Cure for Wellness

As of right now, all of these are set in stone, so let's see how this format will work!

ANIME

Anime is still its own separate beast though, what with plenty of shows coming out that I'll be watching on a weekly basis. Not going to lie, the Spring season looks to be pretty great with some great titles coming out... but chances are I won't be watching them!

I don't care about Attack on Titan Season 2 or My Hero Academia Season 2. Both of those series don't interest me, and I know that those are the only two series on a bunch of people's radars. I wanted to take a look at some series that may not necessarily be in my comfort zone, but have one or two unique things about them that are making me watch them. I don't know if they'll be good, but I'm just curious to see if a unique premise and presentation can equate to a solid title. So here are the series that I'll be actively watching, or at least give the first few episodes a fair chance.

Berserk
Clockwork Planet
KADO: The Right Answer
Love Tyrant
Re:CREATORS
Sin: The 7 Deadly Sins

ONE PIECE

So I know I promised an update in, what, February? Yeah... that obviously didn't happen.

I don't really have any excuse besides that these entries are big and require a lot of comprehensive research. I've had to reread each arc a good three times before I even attempt to summarize them, so adding commentary to that is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

So when's the next update for Syrup Town going to come out? Don't know. I hope it can get out by the end of April, but no promises. Thankfully the Baratie arc isn't that intense, so I should be able to get it out at a faster pace than before. I want to start the Baroque Works arc at least by the end of the year, so there are goals at least.

If enough people demand it though, I could include One Piece updates into my schedule. So instead of seeing a review or a Top 10 list, you would get the next chapter in the One Piece Retrospective. It's an idea, and would force me to keep to a deadline, so let me know if you want to see that.

PATREON

Ah, back to Patreon!

The Patreon has been pretty quiet for a while now with no new pledges, so I decided to change things up by adding an incentive to sign up; User Polls! If you donate $1 to the Patreon, you'll have access to user polls, which will determine what I will review for a certain week! There would be a whole variety of options to choose from, most likely anywhere between 5 and 10, and users would vote on what I would review for an empty slot. For example, for the week of May 14th, I could have a whole bunch of options for potential reviews if I'm struggling to figure out what to review there.

Also, I'm going to dabble with having Patreon sponsored reviews. What does that mean? Well, if you pay a certain amount of money (haven't decided how much yet), I'll review anything that the payer requests. It doesn't have to be anything that came out this year, though it would still have to be a game, a movie, or an anime. I may be a bit lenient for comics and TV shows, but that would be on a case by case basis.

These updates should go into effect by the end of the week, so please support the site with even a dollar! It would help me out immensely.

CHANNEL AWESOME

So for some of you, you may be coming here from Channel Awesome, which is a site dedicated to critics. I'm a writer there in their blogger section, though I've been running into some problems while trying to post there; mainly that I can't post there.

It's odd because some reviews that I attempt to publish just won't go up there. I don't know if it's because of the formatting I use or the content of my reviews, but I usually get halfway through editing a post for Channel Awesome's format... only to have it declare that there was an internal system error and refuse my post...

I don't know why this is, but I'll be making a statement on Channel Awesome before the Ghost in the Shell review goes up. It'll just be a simple direct link to the site, but that's about all I can do at the moment. So if you're wondering where I've gone from Channel Awesome, that's why.



And that's about everything! See you Sunday for Ghost in the Shell!

No comments:

Post a Comment